5 ideas to work with when you're unable to sing (you may be sick, low on energy or just feeling like you're tired). These ideas will help to motivate and inspire you even when you can't sing a note!
1. Watch videos of your favourite singers that inspire and motivate you, love their energy? Vocal gymnastics? Or it could be a number of things!
Make sure the videos are live recordings.
2. Discover new artists and new songs. Look on Spotify/youtube, as you may find some songs that you are exactly looking for. Make sure they are in line with your goals does the singer(s) poses a warm tone, and have cracking diction?
3. Listen and analyse your recordings! Write notes what is and isn’t working. Show me where you think you need help…be positive as much as you can though.
4. Brain storm some games/tests that you can play ie; like sing the alphabet through and over and on one breath to practice breath control, work on a run…, or a favourite song/melody and change it on a different vowel.
5. Do something for your well-being. We forget to look after ourselves, our body is our instrument remember! So maybe release tension and have a massage, or sauna, if you are unwell, steam can help unblock the nasal passage, sometimes something as simple as a walk can help you.
Remember nothing ventured nothing gained!
Until next time
Rebecca is a professional vocal coach and singer in her own right with many years of performing and coaching experience. She is passionate with all things singing related!